You are here:

Licensing of large scale music or dance events

In considering the licensing arrangements of large scale dance or music events, the priority is to ensure that liquor is responsibly sold and consumed in a safe environment, and that the amenity of the surrounding area is not adversely affected.

Application requirements

The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) may request applicants to address certain requirement including: 

  • displaying a public notice. Applicants will be informed in writing by the VCGLR of the period they are required to continuously display a public notice. While the public notice is displayed, people can submit objections to the liquor licence application by writing to the VCGLR
  • obtaining consent from the relevant local council and Victoria Police
  • providing an operating plan that includes arrangements for the health and safety of persons attending and security arrangements
  • providing a site or premises plan that identifies the proposed liquor sale areas.
Amenity issues

To determine whether a proposed event would have a significant impact on the surrounding area, the VCGLR will consider the following:

  • the location of the event
  • the likely number of patrons
  • the nature of the event (including primary activity and type of entertainment)
  • whether staff have completed a Responsible Service of Alcohol training course
  • the proposed date, duration and hours of operation of the event
  • whether security staff numbers are acceptable to Victoria Police (generally two security officers for the first 100 patrons and one additional security officer per 100 patrons thereafter).
All-age events

If the event is an all-age event, the entire area cannot be licensed. Rather specific liquor sale points and consumption areas will be specified including the positioning of security staff at entry and exit points.

Since 1 July 2014, the process is simpler for liquor licensees or permittees wishing to hold live music events that are open to minors (persons under 18 years of age) in licensed premises.

See Minors on licensed premises - underage or mixed-age events.

One-off events

If it is a one-off event (such as a ball or presentation night) or a one-off event that requires an extension of trading hours, in most circumstances a temporary limited licence is required. The temporary limited licence page has more information about restrictions and entitlements for licensees and applicants. 

A temporary limited licence cannot be granted for events held at a premises used primarily by people under the age of 18 years of age, such as a junior sporting club. 

Major events
If your large-scale event attract more than 5,000 patrons and have a significant impact on enforcement, public transport, emergency services, public safety and the amenity of the area, you will be required to apply for a Major event licence.



For news and updates, subscribe to our newsletter