You are here:

Proof of Age

The Victorian Proof of Age card is used to verify that the person seeking to enter the licensed premises or purchase liquor is over 18 years of age. This card is recognised throughout Australia.

Proof of Age card example

Who can apply and how much does it cost?
Any person who has reached the age of 17 years and 11 months can apply, however you must wait until you are 18 to use it. The application fee is $10.
Where do I go to apply?

You can pick up a Proof of Age card application form at the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) counter or from any approved photo point agency including:

  • participating Australia Post offices
  • participating Vic Roads offices
  • selected pharmacies or chemists
  • certain photography and other stores.

You can zoom in on the map below to find an outlet closest to you or visit the approved photo point agencies page. 

An application form can also be posted to you by calling the VCGLR on 1300 182 457. 

Please note: Making false statements and/or fraudulently obtaining an identification card is a serious offence, which may result in prosecution. 

How do I apply?

Complete the 'Application for a Proof of Age card' form. 

Step 1: 

Fill in the applicant's details section of the form. 

Take the completed form and your original proof of identity documents (one from Category A and one from Category B) to someone who has known you for a minimum of 12 months and who is listed on the electoral roll. This person must complete and sign the 'Referee's declaration'. 

Please note that original documents are required for sighting, photocopies are unacceptable. If you have changed your name (either through marriage or otherwise) you must also provide documents as evidence of this change.

Category A

  • Full birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Naturalisation certificate
  • Immigration papers
  • Citizen papers.

Category B

  • Driver licence or learner permit
  • Security card
  • Credit card or bank passbook
  • Medicare card
  • Shooters licence
  • Student identification card.

Step 2: 

Sign the applicant's declaration in the presence of an authorised person. 

The authorised person will check the two documents you have provided as proof of identity and then complete and sign the 'Authorised person's declaration'. 

A list of persons who can witness the applicant's declaration, as prescribed in section 107 A(1) of the Evidence (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1958, is provided in the form. 

Step 3: 

Select a Photo Point agency from the map below or view a full list of approved photo point agencies. Go to the agency to have your photograph taken (some small agencies require you provide your own photo), lodge the application form and pay the application fee. Take along your identification documents as the person from the agency is required to check your documents and also sign the application form where indicated.

How long before I receive my card?
Your Proof of Age card will be sent to you within 20 - 25 business days.
What happens if there is a mistake on my card?
Go back to the agency where you lodged your application form and have the information corrected.  A new card will be issued at no additional cost to you.
What if I lose or damage my card?

If your Proof of Age card was issued in the last three months, and if all the details on the card are correct, you can get a replacement card by writing to the VCGLR and paying a fee of $25. This covers the cost of retrieving the original photo and reprinting the card.

Payment may be made by cheque to the VCGLR, or through a credit card. If you are paying by credit card, you must provide the card number, expiry date and card holder's name, along with a signed authorisation to withdraw $25.

Send your letter and payment to the VCGLR, GPO Box 1988, Melbourne 3001.

If your card is more than three months old, or your address has changed, you will need to apply for a new card as per the process listed above.

Changes to electoral enrolment

The VCGLR is no longer able to provide details to the Victorian Electoral Commission for electoral enrolment, as specified in Section 5 on the proof of age application form. If you need to enrol to vote or change your personal details on the electoral roll please visit the Victorian Electoral Commission website. 


View Approved Photopoint Agencies in a larger map


For news and updates, subscribe to our newsletter