You are here:

Community and charitable gaming

An organisation hosting a raffle, fundraising event or bingo game must be registered as a community or charitable organisation. To be declared as a community or charitable organisation, the organisation must be conducted in good faith for:

  • a philanthropic or benevolent purpose
  • the purpose of a sporting or recreational club
  • the purpose of a political party

Commercial raffle organisers and bingo centre operators must be licenced to conduct these activities on behalf of community or charitable organisations.

How to register as a community or charitable organisation

Download and complete the Declaration as a community or charitable organisation application form (PDF, 271KB) . The application must be lodged no less than 21 days before the gaming activity is carried out as stated in the Gambling Regulation Act 2003 (the Act).

The declared community and charitable organisations (database) is an up-to-date listing of organisations that have been approved by the VCGLR.

What is a nominee?

The nominee is responsible to ensure that the activity is conducted in compliance with gaming laws, rules of the game and permit conditions. It is a requirement under the Act that community or charitable organisations that hold a minor gaming permit must appoint a nominee. Should the nominee change, the organisation must notify the VCGLR as soon as the change occurs.

To apply to become a nominee, please download and complete the Amendment to a minor gaming permit – new nominee application form (PDF, 250KB).

Activities that require a minor gaming permit

Some gaming activities may require a minor gaming permit in order for the organisation to conduct the activity legally.

The following activities require a minor gaming permit:

Click on the links for more information about these activities.

To apply for a minor gaming permit, download and complete the Minor gaming permit application form (PDF, 337KB).

Activities that don't require a minor gaming permit

Other minor gaming activities that generally do not require a minor gaming permit include:

Click on the links for more information about these activities.

Gaming activity guidelines

The VCGLR website has issued  guidelines for the following gaming activities, which are often part of a community or charitable organisation’s events.

Details on how to conduct bingo and the responsibilities with those involved is available from the Bingo page.

Interstate authorities
If you wish to conduct minor gaming activities in another state, you will need to contact the appropriate authority about an application.
State/Territory Phone number
Tasmania (03) 6233 6119
Australian Capital Territory (02) 6207 0361
Queensland (07) 3872 0999
New South Wales (02) 9995 0666
South Australia (08) 8226 8500
Western Australia (08) 9425 1888
Northern Territory 1800 193 111


For news and updates, subscribe to our newsletter