You are here:

Gaming industry employees

The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) is responsible for granting and enforcing the conditions of gaming industry employee licences. 

Gaming industry employees must hold a licence to perform certain duties and functions under Victoria’s gambling legislation.

Do gaming employees need a gaming licence?

Employees must hold a gaming industry employee licence if they are employed by, or working for a venue operator, the monitoring licensee, or a gaming machine services provider to:

In a gaming venue

  • perform any task that requires access to the logic area* of a gaming machine at the venue
  • possess, or issue to other persons holding a gaming industry employee's licence, keys that unlock the logic area of a gaming machine at the gaming venue
  • perform any task that requires access to a prescribed restricted monitoring component at the gaming venue, i.e. access a Jackpot Interface Board or a Slot Machine Interface Board
  • supervising any person carrying out any of the duties referred to above.

*The logic area is a secondary secure area within a gaming machine that contains the logic board associated with the gaming machines operations. An unlicensed employee may access the internal features of a gaming machine (i.e. open the gaming machine), however secondary access to the logic area must only be performed by a licensed employee. 

In a bingo centre

  • to perform as a sole employee, any of the functions in relation to the operation or administration of a bingo game, including:
    • selling bingo tickets
    • writing up running sheets
    • checking back numbers on bingo tickets
    • paying prizes
  • to supervise the above.

As a gaming machine services provider

  • service, repair and maintain gaming equipment or monitoring equipment
  • install, service, repair and maintain player account equipment, or part of a pre-commitment system, on or in a gaming machine
  • install gaming equipment at the premises of an approved venue
  • connect gaming equipment to an electronic monitoring system at the premises of the monitoring licensee or an approved venue
  • supervise persons carrying out any of the above duties.

As a person listed on the Roll of Manufacturers, Suppliers and Testers 

  • test gaming equipment, monitoring equipment, games or a pre-commitment system for the purposes of the issue of certificates
  • service, repair and maintain instruments, contrivances, hardware, software or equipment in connection with a totalisator or approved betting competition and to test them for the purposes of the issue of certificates
  • service, repair and maintain interactive gaming equipment and to test that equipment for the purposes of the issue of certificates
  • test gaming equipment at Crown Casino for the purposes of the issue of certificates.

Employees who do not perform the above functions do not need a gaming industry employee licence.

How do I apply for a gaming employee licence?

You can apply online for a gaming industry employee licence. Your application must include:

  • a police clearance
  • a credit report
  • two passport size photos      
  • the completed gaming industry employee online application form.
Full details on the application process below.
How much does the application for a gaming employee licence cost?

On 1 July each year, government fees and fines associated with non-compliance are increased automatically under the Monetary Units Act 2004. The increase to application fees and fines for non-compliance with gambling laws occur immediately.

Information about application fees associated with gambling licences in Victoria is available in the Gambling fees fact sheet (PDF, 192KB). 

I already have a gaming industry licence, how can I check if it is current?

A gaming industry employee’s licence is valid for 10 years from the date of issue, unless it is cancelled or surrendered. The expiry date is printed on the front of your licence.

For information about licence renewal, please see Gaming industry frequently asked questions.

Is it compulsory to complete Responsible Service of Gaming training?

Yes, all gaming venue employees working in gaming machines areas while open to the public must complete an approved Responsible Service of Gaming training course with six months of starting work in the gaming machine area of an approved venue (you are exempt from this requirement if you have already completed the training within the last three years). This is regardless of whether you are also required to hold a gaming industry employee licence. 

If you are required to hold a gaming industry employee licence, you will receive a copy of the GIE information handbook - 2016 (PDF, 529KB) when your licence is granted.  The handbook helps licensed employees understand their duties, obligations and responsibilities that are part of the work they perform. It also contains information about the conditions of their licence and the forms of disciplinary action available to the VCGLR. It’s important to read it carefully and keep it in a safe place.

If you are not required to hold a gaming industry employee licence but are still required to complete the Responsible Service of Gaming training you can access information about the training, training providers and associated costs on the Responsible Service of Gaming training page.

How do I verify a gaming employee licence (for employers)?

Prospective or current employers (including venue operators, bingo centre operators, manufacturers, suppliers and testers) can check if a current or prospective employee holds a valid gaming industry employee’s licence.

The gaming employee verifier is an online service that requires a secure username and password (the same login details for the Online Services Portal). Up to 10 licence numbers can be verified at any one time.

Access the Online Services Portal to update your own contact information. It is important that the VCGLR has current contact details to enable notification of registration renewal and other matters. here.

Where can I get more information?

Important notice for gaming industry employees and new applicants

Applicants for a gaming industry employee (GIE) licence are required to apply to Victoria Police for a 'National name check' National Police Certificate. Finger and palm prints are not required. The VCGLR is currently updating the GIE application forms on this website to indicate this change. Applicants using this form should ignore the information concerning fingerprinting and follow the steps outlined below.

New applicants

Follow the step-by-step guide on how to apply for a gaming industry employee licence:

Step One - Obtain a police clearance

Applicants should use the Consent to Check and Release National Police Record Form (PDF, 1.5MB) and:

  • at ‘Section A – Type of check required’, select ‘National name check’ 
  • at ‘Section B – Details of applicant’, check that you state your correct date of birth, current name and previous names in full (first name, all middle names and surname). You should also include an alias that you may have or have previously had, as well as a preferred first name (this will appear on the front of your licence)
  • at ‘Section E – Purpose of check’, select ‘Casino or gaming licence’.

The fee payable for this check is $46

Before submitting the consent form to Victoria Police, an applicant must complete the proof of identity section and have his or her original documents certified.

The VCGLR will accept a National Police History Check obtained from the Australian Federal Police, and Fit2work.

A National Police Certificate lodged online with the VCGLR must be no more than three months old.

Please contact the VCGLR at 1300 182 457 or if you have any questions.

Step Two - Obtain a credit report
You are required to provide an Australian individual credit report from My Credit File or Dun & Bradstreet. The report must be generated within the last three months (of when you apply). Additionally if you have lived overseas for 12 months or more during the last 10 years, you may also need to provide a credit report from that country. For more information, please contact VCGLR on 1300 182 457.
Step Three - Obtain two colour passport size photos
Obtain two colour passport size photos and print your full name on the back of each photo.
Step Four - Online application

Complete all fields of the online application. Once you have completed this, you will be instructed to:

  • save your application
  • print and sign the submission document
  • provide any documents relevant to your application.
Step Five - Lodge the submission document with the VCGLR

Your submission document must be signed appropriately and include the following:

  • National Police Certificate (a certified copy is acceptable)
  • credit report
  • signed passport size photos
  • correct application fee and
  • any other document that forms part of your application.

Please note:

  • Your online application cannot be accessed or processed by the VCGLR until you complete all five steps
  • To check the current application fee, refer to Gambling fees and fines
  • If you have lived outside of Australia for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, you may be required to obtain police clearance or a credit report from the country you lived in. Contact the VCGLR on 1300 182 457 to find out what information you need to provide to satisfy this requirement.

Existing industry employees

If you are an existing industry employee, and require information about licence renewal, please see the Gaming industry employee frequently asked questions.

Responsible Service of Gaming training

All gaming industry employees working in the gaming machine area while it is open to the public are  required to complete an approved Responsible Service of Gaming training course with six months of starting work. 

Gaming industry employees must also complete a refresher course every three years thereafter. For more information, see Responsible Service of Gaming training.


If you would like a copy of any of these publications in a more accessible format, please email the VCGLR at or telephone 1300 182 457.


For news and updates, subscribe to our newsletter